United moved swiftly to terminate Ronaldo’s contract in the wake of his controversial interview with Piers Morgan last week in which he criticised Erik ten Hag and the club’s owners.
Ronaldo is now free to join a new club, while United are seeking to replace the 37-year-old in the January transfer window.
Casemiro, meanwhile, had a brief reunion with Ronaldo following several years together at Real Madrid and the Brazil international believes United have lost ‘one of the best in the world’ this week.
When asked if he’s spoken to Ronaldo about his departure, Casemiro said during his World Cup press conference with Brazil: ‘I haven’t exchanged any messages with him but Cristiano is a really experienced guy and knows what’s good for his career.
‘Of course we’re sad, especially in Manchester, because you’re talking about one of the best players in history.
‘Cristiano is a grown-up and knows what’s best for him.
‘As friends we just wish him all the best in the world and football-wise hope everything goes well – except when he’s playing against us.’
When asked if it had been a difficult week following his United exit, Ronaldo said after Portugal’s win over Ghana on Thursday evening: ‘It is important we won.
‘It was a week that finished this chapter. It is closed and now I want to start with the good foot. We started, we won.
‘I could help my team and all the rest doesn’t not matter.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.